Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Things I Hate

By Red Herring

The use of the word hero or term warrior or any other synonym when referring to an athlete:

Hitting a homerun a hero does not make. Gaining an extra yard to convert the fourth and 2 and essentially win the game even though there is still 2 minutes left in the game does not make you a soldier. It might make you clutch, or money, or solid. But it doesn’t make you a hero. Bottom line on this one, if you play a game that children play on a regular basis playing said game does not make you a warrior. (this doesn’t apply to those children who reside in Detroit or Chicago, their games do actually involve life and death, unfortunately.) Get over yourself, you play a game for my enjoyment and the world would go on with or without you.

People trying to explain why an athlete does something stupid :

Stupid people can be good at things. Sports is an excellent example. Lenny Dykstra stock picking genius anyone? Are you stupid? Can you hit a baseball? This qualifies you to be an investment guru. Athletes being stupid is an American institution. Apple pie, Chevrolet and stupid jocks. So when a very rich moron does something stupid we cannot be surprised, or try to explain it away. It happened because you took one part idiot and one part shitload of money and put the two together. Your favorite athlete may be great at sports, but he is not necessarily good at life. Get over it.

Your lucky anything:

Guess what, unless you happen to root for the most current champion in any given sport and your lucky charm is only a season old it isn’t a lucky charm. It is a trinket that has absolutely no connection to the outcome of any game. UNLESS the lucky trinket belongs to me, in that case it is absolutely positively necessary that I follow the same ritual if it worked in a prior occurrence. If I move my chair and Mo blows a save, it is on me. If I lean a certain way when I fart and after that Tex hits a homerun guess which way I’m leaning every team he comes up to bat and I have the urge to let off a little steam? If the Gators win a game when I have a certain shirt on it will be on every time until the Gators lose a game. But your lucky stuff? All shit.

More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment