Sunday, September 20, 2009

Greetings

By Slate Quicksiler

I'll spare the normal "hello"s and "who I am" spiel because you can read that on the sidebar of this site. I will be focusing mostly on college football, pro football, baseball, hockey, soccer, golf and food. Why so many topics of expertise? Because I'm Slate Quicksilver, that's why.

I once lead the Tartars over the Mongols and bartered their subjugation within the Mongol empire. When some leaders thought they could fight, I knew meeting their demands and showing that the people I was hired to defend were worth keeping. Baghdad, fifty thousand men in their garrison, thought it could hold out against those relentless horsebound archers. I showed Genghis Khan himself that the Tartars were excellent farmers and that their destruction would be a great folly. The impressed Khan was pleased. We played poker every other Thursday after that over at his place in Xanadu. The Caliphate in Baghdad wasn't as lucky. He had molten silver poured down his throat.

That being said, I am a huge football fan. College football allegiances are with the University of Florida and to a lesser extent Western Michigan University. Pro football is a tricky situation, but I root for the Jaguars which is not unlike the time I lead the strong people of Interior Kenya against British tyranny. It's a shame I had to leave. Baseball is a passion I have had for years, but the Quicksilver curse includes being a Florida Marlins fan. Successes coupled with crushing failures.


Wayne Huizenga: sworn arch-enemy of the Quicksilver Clan

Other sports teams I fancy are the Carolina Hurricanes/Hartford Whalers, which was the only battle I have ever lost. Losing the plucky Whale to the depths of a region of the country infatuated with NASCAR and college basketball. Things are better in the triangle now, but I fought so hard for the likes of Keith Primeau and Jeff O'Neill to stay in the Mall. You will also see me write on the issues of my college's basketball team, golf, lamenting the plight of the little team in college football and several other issues.

You will also see me, as well as my colleagues, write about food and drinks. To me, nothing is better than southern pit BBQ, sweet tea, cornbread, fried okra and peach/apricot cobbler finished off with a night cap of a half and half kentucky bourbon and coke. However, being a world traveler, there is also nothing like a chicken shawarma with feta cheese, fatty tuna nigiri or an enchilada with proper spicy sauce to cheese ratio combined with the appropriate drink.

I look forward to writing about sports for all of you, and I bid you the salutation of the Sami people of northern Lapland whom I helped expunge the Russians in the mid 1500s: "Toukokuu sinun siida olla siunattu luona Aandroc, Jumala kalja ja erinomainen erotiikka!" May your dwellings be blessed by Aandroc, the God of beer and great sex!

No comments:

Post a Comment